Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Addison's Shriner's Visit

Addison had her bi-annual visit to Shriner's hospital earlier today.  I always get so nervous before these visits every 6 months, but I have to bottle it all up and convince Addison that this will be a fun appointment.  Have I mentioned how much I love Shriner's Hospital?  They are amazing!!  So, at the beginning of every appointment, they take Addison back for x-rays.  They put her in these hideous (but comfy) shorts, and walk her to the x-ray room.  A couple visits ago, she walked in there and got totally freaked out by the life-size skeleton they keep in there.  So now, before she will even step foot in there, she makes the nurse take the skeleton out.  I laugh and roll my eyes at her dramatics.  So this time, they actually make her stand on a stool instead of lay on the table, and for some reason she got really anxious about that.  The nurse taking the x-ray was trying to distract her, and they started talking about the purple nail polish on Addison's toes. The nurse told her that she also had polish on her toes, and that it was blue.  So of course, Addison asks to see it.  I opened my mouth to tell the nurse not to worry about it....but before I could get a single sound out, that nurse was pulling her shoe and sock off and showing Addison her bright purple toes.  That distracted Addison enough that they got the x-ray, got her a princess sticker, and sent us back to the waiting room.  

After they got her weight and height, Addison bribed another nurse into giving her a purple sucker (always purple with this one).  She walked back in the room with five!  Spoiled child, I tell you.  Her appointment with the doc went really well!  Her hips are developing normally, despite the slight dysplasia, and her spine is straight. She will eventually need her achilles tendons lengthened, but we're still looking at a couple years down the road before that's a necessity.  Yay!  As we were leaving, the same nurse who helped Addison horde the suckers let her pick out a special prize (she chose a pink hat), and also let her pick something out for her little sister (a bobble-head Mickey).  As we were getting in the car, she said to me, "Mom, I like going to this doctor!  It's so much fun!"  That makes me happy to hear. :)





No comments: