I was going to include the details of our hospital stay in my last post, but those days in the hospital still seem so long and dramatic, that I figured for journaling purposes I should give this story it's own post. The morning after the delivery, I woke up around 7 am, suddenly wide awake. Zuke, on the other hand, was not so bright-eyed. He had spent the night on the pulled out couch in my room, except the couch had not actually been pulled all the way out, so he was in the fetal position all night. It took one of the nurses coming in and helping him to get it all the way out, and he got to take a nap a bit later that morning.

Not long after Alexis was born, it was discovered that her blood glucose levels were having a hard time staying up. I had been looking forward to finally spending some bonding time with my new baby, but due to her levels, they were going to admit her to the Level II nursery, where she would end up spending the next two days. Luckily, mine and Zuke's moms arrived with Tyler and Addison just in time for them to see her briefly before being moved to the other nursery. Zuke and I were only able to go see her one other time that day, since moving was still very difficult for me. The next day (Thursday), I was moving a bit better, and asked to be wheeled to the nursery to spend some time with Alexis. It wasn't long after getting there that I started feeling sick, and unfortunately ended up throwing up everywhere. Luckily Zuke had been holding her at the time! I was really disappointed that my time with Alexis was cut so short that day, and I think that the nurses took a bit of pity on me, and allowed me to bring Alexis to my room that night for a little over an hour. My parent, brother, and sister-in-law were able to see and hold her for a bit, which was really nice. Even though having Alexis in the Level II nursery allowed me to get some much needed rest, those two days were torture on me. I really missed being able to bond with my baby, and it made the days drag on forever!
Friday morning, the pediatrician came in and told me that Alexis had been moved back to the regular nursery, and that she was good to go home as soon as I was. I was so relieved! I spent most of the day that day just snuggling up to my little princess and studying her up and down. Tyler and Addison finally got to hold their little sister that day, and were so excited! Tyler just kept saying over and over how beautiful she was, and all Addison wanted to do was hold her. It was so nice to be together as a family finally!
By Saturday morning, I was ready to get out of the hospital and get home. I always seem to get a tiny bit of anxiety right before taking a new baby home, but I surprisingly didn't at all this time. We waited around for what seemed like forever for my doctor to come and sign my release papers. I got all my instructions, the biggest of which was to take it easy and not try and do too much (I wasn't complaining!), and we were out of there!
No comments:
Post a Comment